Tuesday 14 July 2009

How I embarked on my journey

It all started towards the end of 2006 when I took part in a project which was a collaboration between members of 26 (a writers' group I belong to) and art students from the London College of the Arts.

Each writer was to team up with a student to produce text and illustrations for a children's picture book. The idea was that there would be an exhibition of our work in spring 2007, to which publishers and agents would be invited.

Hooray!!

With great enthusiasm, I bought a number of 'how to write children's books' and pored over the picture books in Waterstone's in Piccadilly.

Then, a great idea came to me and I wrote my story.


But the student I was paired with wanted to focus her efforts on her final year course work, so we didn't really get to the stage of illustrated spreads. Undeterred, I could still find another student who wanted to come into the project slightly late. And, if the worst came to the worst, I could always exhibit the text by itself.

But, the project organisers couldn't find anyone willing to fund the exhibition and the launch party, so the event never happened.

But, I still had my story. There was no way I was going to let it gather dust on my desk or fester away at the back of a drawer.

No comments:

Post a Comment