Tuesday 1 September 2009

Can I pull it off?

The course finished at the beginning of July. What had I learned? Well, one thing was definite: I wanted to write picture books.

And there were three rather important things I had discovered about picture books.

  1. A lot of picture books are pretty average and I really don't know how they manage to get published
  2. A good picture book appears very simple but is deceptively difficult to pull off.
  3. The best picture books are very clever, highly entertaining and extremely imaginative.
Mmm, could I turn my ideas into something truly excellent that would interest a publisher? I started the year thinking that this 'writing for children' lark was a piece of cake. I now know differently.

Still, I make a good living by writing marketing copy, so why can't I earn money from writing children's books, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment