Thursday 20 August 2009

The autumn term

Usually these kind of adult education classes have a high drop-off rate and about half tend to stay the course. Every single one of us made it to the end of term. Now that's quite an achievement. I put it down to having an excellent teacher.

Our teacher, Alison, would introduce a different topic each week, such as point of view, developing a character, convincing dialogue, 'show don't tell' etc etc. She showed us how to write beginnings that would grab the reader's interest, how to sustain this interest, and how to write great endings - preferably with a twist.

But it wasn't just about Alison's teaching. My fellow classmates were important, too. If someone was stuck with a storyline, everyone would chip in with their ideas and suggestions. They were a fun group, too. That's where attending a class wins hands down over a self-study book.

At the end of term, I looked back over the exercises I'd done in class and the homework I'd handed in.

None of it was any good.

I'd learned so much, so how come I hadn't made any progress?

No comments:

Post a Comment