Monday 17 August 2009

A writer is a person who writes

In September 08, I enrolled on the 'Writing for Children' class run by Hammersmith and Fulham. I suppose I could easily have continued with my various books on 'how to write children's books' and then ploughed my through all the exercises they suggested.

In fact, I did start to do this but it was all very ad hoc. I'd do a bit; I'd put it one side; I'd forget to do any more. No, what I needed was a weekly class and the discipline of a regular homework assignment. After all, a writer is a person who writes. Just like physical exercise, you have to keep your 'writing muscles' in trim if you want to imrpove.

So I bought myself a big A4 spiral bound pad, sharpened my pencils, and took myself off to the first class.

No comments:

Post a Comment